Thursday, June 25, 2009

May He Rest in Peace

My friend, Jim Taylor died this afternoon after a battle with cancer. I don't how much he considered me a friend, but I considered him a friend. He was a large, gentle man who had a deep faith and a real, genuine love for people - a love for all people. I only knew Jim for a few years when he started attending North Central Christian Church but I grew to respect him and the way he lived his life.

One thing the he and I shared was a love for North Central Christan Church and especially the potential of the church to be a sanctuary in North San Antonio. We talked many time of the 18+ acres of oaks and elms, the quietness of the area, the peacefullness of the outdoors. We even talked of building some sort of small retreat-like building that could be used as a gathering place for small worship services, or a gathering place for folks who just wanted to hang-out with like-minded friends for a cup of coffee, conversation, or study... or to watch sports or some other event on TV. We even drew up some simple plans and walked the property to see where a good place might be for such a facility. I felt that Jim really wanted to make it happen.

I don't think I'll walk the property again with thinking of Jim. I believe he'll be with me.

And maybe one day Jim's dream for the property will materialize. If it does, I hope I'm there to see it and to spend some time there.

I'm going to miss my friend Jim. For him, the suffering is over, for the rest of us, the loss will be with us until our time comes.

Rest in peace, Friend


Jim and Gail's website
Jim's Facebook page
blog comments powered by Disqus